Saturday 2 July 2011

Ding Ding, Shop's Open!



(Title is a reference to under 5's TV - if you don't do Groovy Moves, then don't worry about it!!)

After a few delays by the builder (totaling 30 days, so not bad really)
The Emporium in Machynlleth is now open.

The building was converted from offices back to retail and a brand new shop has set up business. As you may or may not know, I have rented a space in this shop.

I had a panic in May that the shop might open for the Spring Bank Holiday weekend so I went into mega production mode.  I continued making things throughout June, until I read a blog by Ros Made Me, where she wisely wrote - no one but the cupcake seller ever actually sells out!

When the opening date was finally set for 1st July, I had to sheepishly say I was on holiday, and passed all responsibility to Sue, the owner of the shop!

To cut a long story short, I persuaded OH I would take him out for lunch and we would finish off the display.  (I had handed Sue a basic display to fill each shelf).

There I was tying a few price labels on to a few extra items and OH sudden showed his true colours.  He dived into the cabinet and began rearranging everything - he was brilliant!

None of this 'what do you think?' 'How about this?' that I would have done, dragging it out for hours.  No, he dived in, re-arranged, instructed me what he wanted. And finished the job in half the time.  Obviously it remains to be seen whether he would be quite so efficient if his stomach wasn't rumble-ing!

shelves 1 and 2 are similar
The shop is vintage and craft - so there is quite a bit of costume jewellery, but I am the only handmade jewellery cabinet.




I was concerned about lighting on the lower shelves so I wanted lots of colour to encourage people to look at my jewellery.  So I made some of Dreamstar's flowers to accompany my glass bead jewellery.
The shop is very light and airy and there was a really good footfall whilst we were there.  Machynlleth has an excellent market along the main street every Wednesday and coach trips stop off at it.  So here's hoping some of them want to buy from my cabinet!
Bracelets and teeny tiny gift bags

2 comments:

  1. How exciting and how lovely that fellow bloggers had some input into your venture. Good luck with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey!!! Congratulations Dearie!! Hope everything goes well for you and you never know, I might just make Hubby think it a good idea for a day out! Our Wedding Rings were made by Kelvin Jenkins who did use to have a jewellry store at the Corris but now is not too far away from you!! Pure Welsh Gold of course!! Love Snows too!!

    ReplyDelete